Chairman’s Invitation to the 2014 World Pilot Gig Championships
The 2014 World Pilot Gig Championships will take place on the Isles of Scilly from Friday, 2
May until Monday, 5 May 2014. In this our 25th year I have great pleasure in inviting you to
take part in this unique event. You are always welcome on the Isles of Scilly but this
anniversary year my committee will endeavour to make your involvement particularly
I was saddened last year that in the first race six gigs were disqualified for pushing the line.
The Coxes had obviously failed to control the adrenaline rush and no doubt five gigs
followed the first to falsely start. We shall always strictly apply our rules which all Coxes
sign to having read. This year there have been additions to our rules after some unfair
practices were complained of by competitors. You will do well to read them carefully. No
official, myself included, has authority to give permission to breach these rules. Deliberate
non-compliance with crew membership rules will reflect upon the club involved and may
lead to that clubs exclusion in the following years Championships. This may seem Draconian
but a level playing field, or hopefully sea, is fair to all. The rules regarding composition of
crews by gender and age will be strictly enforced. Veterans must have attained 40 years of
age and super vets must have attained 50 years of age. With about 130 gigs taking part the
job of the finish Marshal is particularly taxing. He has to coordinate the video recording and
playback, the physical recording by a large team, and his adjudication. It is not therefore
possible without great difficulty to amend the computer software at the last moment. So
please, no late substitutions in crews as that breach the rules.
Registration will be via our website from February onwards. Payment of registration fees
should be made via this site by one of the several options available. In cases of difficulty
please contact Kevin as before.
Signing in by Coxes will take place with Martin at the Tunnel commencing on midday on
Thursday, 1 May. This variation was very successful last year as it obviated the
scrummaging that usually takes place at the Coxes meeting. Please monitor our website for
any variations or updates.
I look forward to seeing you all again and will be in my usual place outside the Tunnel.
Chairman, World Pilot Gig Championships Committee
WORLD PILOT GIG CHAMPIONSHIPS
1. ALL GIGS MUST CARRY A WORKING HAND-HELD PORTABLE VHF RADIO SET ON
2. FOR ANY CREW TO BE ELIGIBLE FOR 1st, 2nd, 3rd, OR 4th PLACES THEY MUST
HAVE THE SAME SIX ROWERS AND COXSWAIN FOR ALL CHAMPIONSHIP RACES
3. NO MIXED SEX CREWS ARE PERMITTED AND AGE RESTRICTIONS ARE TO BE
STRICTLY COMPLIED WITH FOR ALL RACES.
4. ALL CREW MEMBERS MUST BE 16 AND OVER. ALL COXSWAINS TO BE OVER 18
YEARS OF AGE.
5. ALL COXWAINS MUST BE EXPERIENCED AND OBSERVE GOOD SEAMANSHIP AT
6. ANY GIG NOT ON THE START LINE AT ITS ALLOTTED START TIME COULD BE
DISQUALIFIED, AT THE DISCRETION OF THE START MARSHAL.
7. IN THE ST AGNES RACES ANY GIG OVER THE LINE AFTER “ONE MINUTE TO THE
START” IS CALLED WILL BE DISQUALIFIED. NO WARNINGS WILL BE GIVEN.
8. IN THE GROUP STARTS ANY GIG FAILING TO OBEY THE START MARSHAL’S
ORDERS WILL BE GIVEN A FINAL WARNING AND DISQUALIFICATION WILL TAKE
PLACE IF THIS IS IGNORED.
9. ANY GIG TOUCHING A SAFETY BOAT WILL BE LIABLE TO DISQUALIFICATION.
10. ALL BOATS MUST STEER A PROPER COURSE. ANY ZIGZAGGING TO BLOCK
ANOTHER BOAT WILL RESULT IN DISQUALIFICATION.
11. ALL GIGS MUST STAY OUTSIDE THE YELLOW OR ORANGE BUOYS ALONG THE ST.
MARY’S SHORE ON THE ST. AGNES RACE.
12. IN THE EVENT OF A COLLISION ALL CREWS SHOULD MAKE EVERY ATTEMPT TO
DISENGAGE. SPINNING A GIG WILL RESULT IN DISQUALIFICATION AND TAKING
OFF THE YOKE MAY RESULT IN DISQUALIFICATION.
13. ALL GIGS MUST FINISH BETWEEN THE TWO FINISH BUOYS. GIGS NEAREST THE
BUOYS MUST BE GIVEN WATER. ANY GIG FINISHING OUTSIDE THE BUOYS MAY
14. ANY GIG NOT COMPLETING A RACE WILL NOT BE PLACED IN THE
15. IN THE EVENT OF A SERIOUS SAFETY INCIDENT THE RACE MAY BE STOPPED BY
THE INTERVENTION OF A SAFETY BOAT.
N.B. ALL DECISIONS MADE BY RACE STEWARDS OF THE WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP
COMMITTEE WILL BE FINAL.
Please note: Any further additions or amendments will be announced at the Friday Coxswains